Slip basically refers to how well a product detangles curls. Some curly folks place a lot of importance on the slip a product gives their hair, believing that the more slippery a product feels on the hair, the better it is.
Ingredients like Behentrimonium Chloride or Behentrimonium Methosulfate give a product great slip - they accumulate and form a film on the surface of the hair. They thicken and emulsify formulations making them feel creamy and therefore easier to detangle your curls. However, being film-formers they sit on the shaft and often don’t penetrate.
However, just because a product has good slip, it doesn’t make it more moisturising. In order for a product to truly nourish your curls it needs to contain ingredients like humectants, oils and butters (such as coconut oil, aloe vera, shea butter, argan oil, jojoba oil etc), as well as ingredients that help detangle.
At Bouclème we put more emphasis on long term nourishment than slip. Our products are formulated with carefully selected ingredients that have the ability to penetrate into the hair and therefore are less film-forming. Used correctly our Curl Conditioner will smooth the hair cuticle and moisturise curls from the inside out. Long-term use ensures your hair receives the nourishment it needs to keep curls smooth, defined, bouncy and healthy, and stops them from feeling tacky or weighed down.
We consciously choose ingredients for our products that are safe for the environment as well as the body. When you consider how many of us are washing our hair on the planet we take comfort in knowing that the ingredients in our products are not hazardous for our oceans and sealife.
Check out our step-by-step instructions on how to get the best results with the Bouclème Curl Conditioner
- After cleansing apply a generous amount of Curl Conditioner to hair in sections.
- Rake through hair using fingers as a comb to prevent damage or breaking up of curl pattern.
- Drizzle each section with a little water smoothing hair with fingers from root to tip. Hair should feel silky.
- If you have fine loose curls rinse partly or fully out. You can apply more to damp hair as a leave in for dry ends. Experimenting is key to work out what works best for your curls.
- For drier thicker curls we recommend leaving all of your conditioner in. Hair should feel silky and have milky white appearance.
- Porous curls benefit from applying extra conditioner before applying Curl Defining Gel.
- Add some coconut or argan oil (any of your favourite pure oils will work) on top of your conditioner to any dry areas like canopy and ends. This layering of products helps to lock in moisture and therefore keep curls defined for longer.
When you get the application of your Curl Conditioner right on wash day it will see you through 2-3 days of great looking curls.